Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Overnight Summer Camp and Other Musings from the week

As a kidlet growing up, overnight summercamp was certainly a highlight of our summers and looked very forward to attending each summer.  In fact one summer when we had a scheduling conflict I went to the next up age group so I could be sure to attend.  I loved Camp Mantowagan!  It was a church camp for our church denomination, Grace Brethren Church.  Of course that is all 6 hours away from here, and not a possibility for my kids.

Luckily there has been an awesome day camp here through the parks and recs they have done the previous 3 summers.  However with me not working there is no point in them going to day camp every day. Last year for the first time they attend a week long Christian day camp at Camp Hydaway.  Anthony is now up to the next age group so he got to attend the over night camp There.

On Sunday June 30th Brandy, Shania, baby Tristan and me and my two kidlets attended the celebrate America event at church at 3pm.  They had quite the festivities, from blow up slides and jump houses and jousting ring to pony rides, water fans, snack booth and more.

At 4:30 I took Anthony to camp.  He was in "Cabin 6", although there was no 6 on the Cabin.  He was one of the last campers to get to the cabin but that didn't seem to bother him.  I gave him $11 in spending money at the camp store.  He got a bottom bunk.  Uncomfortably, although partially amusing, one of his room mates was bragging that "I was suspended 9 times last year and I wasn't expelled". After a couple pictures on his bed for the week, I left.

  Then I rejoined the others at church.  It would rain/sprinkle on and off and that cooled it down.... until all of a sudden it DOWN POURED.  It came quick, strong and without letting up.  We ran for cover under someone else's portable canopy structure.  Everyone except baby boy were soaked.  We decided to head to my house and dry off.  We had fun while it lasted at the festivities at church.  It was however disappointing to miss out on the promised entertainment, Christian Comedy and singers.  We had a laid back evening until about 10pm.  Suddenly Brandy realized she lost her wallet!  We searched my van, diaper bags, backpacks, stroller.  It was nowhere.  I drove us back to LU and again, nowhere.  It had a lot of money and important info within it.  Brandy, rightfully so was freaked out.  It really was horrible and emotional.  I took her home because to add insult to injury she left her key at my house, so I drove it to her.  Then they saw it.  A God Given Gift!  There was a note on the door from someone named Jeff.  He had found the wallet!  Robbie called right away and they agreed to meet the next afternoon when Jeff got off work. It was a long wait for her to meet Jeff at 5pm.  And when she did, it was practically proof that God was in THAT place, within our church function.  All the cash (hundreds) was still there, all the cards, all the the everything.  A total blessing!

On Monday, it was an easy laid back morning.  Then in the afternoon Jayna and I headed to get new tires on the van.  We enjoyed some Happy Hour treats at DQ.  It took FOREVER, but at least it got done!  It was also a difficult evening as we re-homed Stevie onto a home where he could have free roam, on a newly started petting farm.

On Tuesday Jayna had homeschooling with Grandma and then chose to go swimming.  She was the sweetest missing her big brother and worried he would be upset that we had fun without him.  Afterwards we went to a used children's store and took advantage of an amazing sale.

On Wednesday Jayna has homeschooling and while she was there I picked Shania up.  After her homeschooling, I took Shania to pick out some clothes at the Children's store used sale.  Then Jayna has a eye dr appointment.  That was nothing but disappointment.  No answers, more questions.  That will be for another blog, another time, whenever I can manage to put my frustrations into words.  Shania spent the night.  The girls enjoyed their new clothes and dress up, being outside, being on the PS3 and Ipad.

On Thursday I ran a 5k.  My first race of any type since 7th grade Track meets.  I did it in the rain with a time of 31:29.  We went to Grandma and Poppy's and Poppy showed us the baby bunny nest he found.  We enjoyed seeing the babies.  Jayna had Poppy to homeschool her since he was off for the holiday.  We came home and Jayna played with Alonza.  He turned 9 today.  Jayna joined him and his mom to go to CiCi's pizza and the movies.  I got to pick Anthony up from summer camp.  They had a picnic supper and closing program.  Poppy and Grandma went too.  He said his favorite camp activities were Archery and Zipline.  He was very pleased something another happened to the water system.  They had to have a big water truck on site.  With that water, they could flush toilets, wash hands and do kitchen duties.  However, there was not enough water for the kids to take showers, so he got to totally enjoy 5 days shower free.  That was worth a big smile from him.  When we got home, Anthony and Alonza got to go with his mom to watch the fireworks and then the boys came back here nearing midnight and spent the night.



No comments:

Post a Comment