Sunday, June 9, 2013

Meeting Old friends for the first time

I have been on a parenting website, formerly Parenthood for about 13 years.  I joined when I was just about to become an aunt.  I got to host the baby names forum.  I still love some baby names.  I stayed there through a second nephew and until I got pregnant with Anthony.  Then I was without internet so I did take about a year break and only hopped on occasionally.  But I have been on almost daily since my pregnancy with Jayna.  Even after the vast majority of the people from Parenthood left, we all stayed together by creating a new forum.
Blast from the past: In 2009, for our 1 year birthday of our site, we had a "birthday party" in Pennsylvania that Marko, the kids and I attended along with 9 other pod families. 
Our Birthday Cake
the 9 of us moms and our "Podlets"
Our Podlets... minus 2 who came but aren't pictured
And for my own personal amusement, Marko and I from Aug 2009 



Anyhow all that back story, to say....
Another pod friend all the way from Wisconsin was going to be somewhat near by, in Richmond to pick up her grandson Graham.  We coordinated so we could meet in Richmond.  It was raining insanely hard almost all of the trip down.  We made it though.  It was my first time ever driving to Richmond.  I had been there very briefly before- to get birth certificates, to help Marko do installs in the O'Charley's there and then on the kids' field trip to the Science Museum, but it was my first time to drive and as the only adult in my vehicle as well.Thanks to the crazy weather my friends were running a bit late.  We met at a nifty mall called short pump.  My kids were thrilled by the elevators.
We met in the food court, grabbed a bite to eat and enjoyed the chatter of each others company while most the kids played in the kiddie play area.  It was wonderful to finally meet Robyn and to see Becky again.  Everytime I meet a pod friend, I am extremely anxious yet also nervous.  It brings back those stupid childhood insecurities.  I have a feeling no matter what I do throughout my lifetime, I am always going to feel that way and think of the negative what ifs.  But it has once again been proven we are friends.  We are here to support one another, hug one another, laugh together, give advice, listen to life's little ups and downs- both virtually and face to face.  I will remain anxious to meet future podders, and yet I know I will be nervous and still in the end everything will go smoothly! Thanks Robyn and Becky for a lovely afternoon together!
Robyn, me and Becky
Jayna, Graham, Anthony and Sam
Graham enjoying a piggy back ride from Jayna
Graham and Robyn

Robyn entertaining us with her puppet skills
Becky and Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment