Sunday, June 2, 2013

End of School Year

At LAST, the school year is finally over.  It hasn't always been the most easy year.  Being the mother of a very struggling reader is discouraging often times.  You feel like your best isn't enough and you are failing your child.  Learning I feel came especially easy for me.  Much like my children, I attended what was likely one of the best preschools in our area back home in Altoona, Pa.  My kids attended a highly recommended preschool here in Lynchburg.  They have had nearly perfect attendance with less than 7  absences in the 4 years they have attended Public School. I always do homework with them, read to them, have them do all extra and optional summer programs, etc.  But for Jayna's reading level, it hasn't been enough.  In April, we did learn of Jayna's eye issues: Convergence Insufficiency.  She got glasses on April 25th for reading, and all work w/i an arm's reach.  They have prism in them and hopefully will strengthen her eye muscles.  She likes them but now complains of headaches, an ailment she never previously had.  So I wonder if they are helping.
Most of the final week of school I spent doing crossing guard and then spent all day volunteering at school and crossing guard again.
Tuesday I spent the day doing Talent show prep and the evening hosting it at the school.
Wednesday was Behavior (during a month of SOL ans PALS state testing) Incentive Reward Day.  We had two bounce "house" obstacles and ice cream.  I was the bounce house volunteer.  Every grade level had their own time slot.  It was hot as can be imagined. Nearing the end some of the grades didn't use all of their time slot it was so hot.  I volunteered for 6 hours and felt insanely dehydrated and was even drinking water.  And for those that know me, I usually prefer being thirsty to that.  So many of the kids at the school now know me from all my volunteering and then some from when I was at BK and others yet tell me they see me doing crossing guard even though it's at a different school.  I managed to get a picture of Anthony, but none of Jayna as her group was last of the day and I was only with them 15 minutes of their hour before I had to leave.
Thursday was the last day of school and only a half day.  The kids gave their bus driver, and 8 teachers simple end of the year gifts, except Mrs. Carroll got a more fancy gift!  I did morning crossing guard and then went to Sheffield to Volunteer, like I did EVERY Thursday this year in the 2nd grade classrooms.  In Mrs. Carroll's room, Mr. Carroll was there serving the kids a breakfast of chocolate chip pancakes with chocolate milk.  After which they played "would you rather".  Usually Mr. Carroll asks THEM the questions like would you rather have a pet shark or alligator, would you rather eat this or that would you rather go here or there.  Today was extra special because the students got to ask Mr. Carroll the questions.  Some of the questions included,
Would you rather be a goat or a llama
Would you rather wear make up or pain your nails
Would you rather be bald or never cut your hair
Would you rather be the ugliest man ever or a a beautiful girl
Jayna, in TRUEST Jayna fashion asked,
Would you rather be a dog who wears dresses or wear high heels.  He chose dresses ;-)
Mrs.  Carroll was overly kind in giving me an end of year gift.  It was so uncalled for.  She is an amazing teacher and advocate for her students.  She spends way more than she should on class supplies and awards for her students.  Jayna has been so blessed, as Anthony was last year, to have such an awesome, godly, dedicated teacher.  As we well know, it is unlikely she will be so lucky every year.
Easily, one of the world's best teachers
The students change classes for math class.  Jayna has had Mrs. Blankenship for math.  In addition Mrs. Carroll and Mrs. Blankenship are good friends and do a lot of co-teaching for larger activities and fun things.  So when it came time for the classes good behavior reward from Mrs. Blankenship, Mrs. Carroll's class went to her room.  Mrs.  Blankenship HATES apples as Jayna has been talking about for weeks;  Especially since I gave Mrs Carroll an apple for  part of her day 1 Teacher Appreciation week gift.  In 1st grade Mrs Blankenship had a fieldtrip to an orchard and apparently ate WAAAAY too many apples.  She got sick and hasn't had an apple since and that includes an apple product: pie, butter, salad etc.  So today for her class' good behavior, their reward was she would eat a dreaded apple.  She said Mr. Blankenship bought her the biggest apple he could.  She took about 4 bites or so and made some priceless faces and entertained the kids fully.

 One very special student and buddy to all won a good citizen award!  Chris is blind.  He is the most friendly and personable student.  He really does help brighten the mood.  Not only did he win good citizen, but he had perfect attendance all year!  Because he heard other students (girls) choosing the new color option he too dove in and wanted his Good Citizen Shirt to be pink!!  Way to Go Chris!!
Chris and Jayna
Jayna will remain in 2nd grade next year in attempt to get her reading level more adequate for entering 3rd grade.  She had a great report card Meeting all Standards with the exception of reading.  However she is too far delayed in reading to make for an effective 3rd grade year.  Anthony who is on grade level had a less than enjoyable transition this year.  Third grade is a huge jump as the teachers basically teach them how to take a stupid standardized test.  I am not a fan of SOLs taking over our school system but it has sadly and is effecting the quality of teaching and effectiveness of learning and retaining the knowledge.  Ant man will be headed to 4th grade next year, and according to his report card he is reading on grade level which is a great big deal as he struggled with that up until about Jan/Feb of 2nd grade.

I was spoiled at my school. On Tuesday I got a gift from my "secret pal" from the Farm Basket- Piggy Salt and Pepper shakers!  My favorite bus b/c it has the kindest happiest driver.  In the morning she made sure all the students waved to me and when I went inside after crossing guard I got the most precious certificate from my favorite bus.  I brought the office staff (and hopefully whoever my secret pal is) a box of Cream Puff's from The Sunny Kitchen Bakery, formerly the Bill's Bakery.  In the afternoon, one of the drivers who is always there a bit earlier (as am I) got out his bus and walked up the street to me, to thank me for helping him out all year.  Such a sweet gesture!  After I finished crossing guard, I came inside to find a card from a bus driver (#28 again!!) and a keychain with a Subway gift card attached.  I truly love my (simple) job and it has brought me much happiness this year!





 We of course needed to celebrate the start of our summer!

Back history... Anthony's absolute favorite (adored) animal is Tiger.  He saw on the menu under snow cone flavors something called Tiger's Blood.  So although Jayna has a swirl cone dipped in cherry and Anthony has chocolate dipped in Cherry (while mom has chocolate dipped in chocolate).  Anthony called these "Tiger's Blood Ice Cream"  Either it was a fierce Tiger or a dead tiger.... I am unsure if the blood is the tiger's own blood or if the blood is the tiger's because he claimed the animal who had this blood :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment