Sunday, August 10, 2014

Saturday in NYC

Saturday was my "latest" day... I didn't leave the hotel until about 9 or 9:30am.  It was to be my more casual day- go with the flow, not over-scheduled or over planned and in fact I only had one goal for the day- to meet with a long time friend for the first time in person.
I decided to just walk 5th Ave (as opposed to 5th Street- haha... that way I could stay fully clothed; kidding!) and see what I see, and venture into Time Square for the first time too.

First stop was Nintendo World-- a 2 story store that I know Anthony would have loved
Next I found Rockefeller Plaza complete with the weird garden statue dog looking thing the flags of the United Nations, NBC Studios, Radio City and the Rockefeller Building (top of the Roc).  I didn't do the top of the Roc-- I figured it couldn't out-do the Empire so wasn't going to waste my money!
It was here that I ran into my only regret-- I wish I would have bought HIS art.  I was going to think about it--- a typical Beth move in bargain shopping.  He was the first and most genuine live artist I saw.  He didn't use stencils, just a paint can lid, spray can lid, paint supplies- no stencils.  Other artists who did similar art had less talent and used stencils.  After I saw this man I saw several other artists in the following day and a half.  On Sunday I went in search of him and couldn't find him, so eventually at evening Sunday bought from another artist with fewer stencils and bought a piece where he only used art supplies.  Meet spray pain art- the most amazing art I've ever seen.  People who have been to my house see TWO pieces of art on my walls- a Caricature of Anthony and a huge painting that was painted by one of the Foster care case workers, Bruce Mabry.  I now have one of these on my wall and a caricature of Jayna too.


Next was easily one of my favorite Shops: American Girl Store.  Yes I know I'm almost 30, but gosh it made me wish Jayna was with me.  Luckily for my money and credit cards Jayna was not with me!  I got my first AG doll when I was in 3rd grade- Molly.  Three floors of dolls, doll gear, doll adventures (hair salon, hospital and cafe').  I was even impressed I walked out of there only $24 poorer--- via matching NYC American girl shirts for Jayna and her doll.

I walked around time square waiting until it was time to meet a friend.  That place is insanely crowded.  Disney World had nothing on Time Square crowd wise!  It was a fair mixture of excitement, crazy, beyond imagination and if I had Claustrophobia, it would be a nightmare.  Everything is huge, 2-3 stories- each store and then more stuff above that.  I saw Fox News, went inside the M&M store and the Hershey store,

At 1 I met up with my friend Mena.  Mena and I "met" 10 years ago when we were pregnant-- me with Jayna and her with her oldest Dom.  Ever since we've been members of the same online parting forum group-- all moms of kids who were born in March or April 2005.  There are about 20 of us.  Initially we were part of a much bigger group but when our kids turned 2 we created our own private members forum and have all stayed friends and in contact for over 10 years.  I had met some friends from the larger parenting forum, but never from our individual group.  I of course was extremely nervous and shy.  Because outside of my online life I am more shy, loner-like, laid back and reserved other than within a very small group of friends.  And in true Beth form I had to take a picture of our meal together
She got the BLT while I got a Caesar salad w/ ranch dressing
We got the privilege to chat for 2 hours.  It was so exciting to finally meet a friend I've had my entire adult life but had never personally met.

Once she took the train back to her home in New Jersey I re-entered the craziness and fun of the chaos and business that is NYC with no set plan or goal just to explore and stay busy, and that I did!
The people watching was crazy!  On one corner there would be nude girls with body paint "performing arts", 10 feet down would be people with Jesus shirts on, a "Naked" cowboy and even Naked Grandma and then Repent signs and mega phone messages.  There where all sorts of characters from Mickey, Dora, Hello Kitty to people "statues" spray painted gold, silver or bronze.  There were some bands or people on instruments and some street gymnasts.  Pretty much, there was a little bit of everything, everywhere.Yes I love to people watch. 

I went into Toys R Us.  It was huge and excessively crowded-- but admittedly neat.  It was 4 stories tall, complete with an ice cream shop a 3 story ferris wheel, and more toys than any one place should ever have!
 Next I hit Broadway-- and by that I mean I did more people watching and taking pictures of the Broadway show signs.  I can't swallow buying movie tickets so a broadway ticket was NOT happening!... even though for the record Marko did say I could.
And then I decided to do what I do best--- walk 1,000 blocks in the wrong direction in search of a restaurant that had been recommended to me.  So basically that means I took a foot tour of halk the city.... then decided to hop on a Metro and get off at a random stop, no plan.  And so I did.  I found Bryant Park.
The best part of walking in the wrong direction: yummy cupcakes


It was dark when I gave up on the restaurant I was seeking and decided I had to try NYC pizza anyways.... that's a negative
I give this pizza a 1 out of 5.  There was enough grease on it to deep fry some fries.  But at least I can say I tried NYC pizza.  It was about 9:30 when I made it back to the hotel room-- but I went back out in search of whatever near the hotel room because they had a lot of stuff going on... unfortunately it all ended about 10:30 so then I went in for the night.



1 comment:

  1. Super busy Saturday indeed for busy Beth!

    ReplyDelete