Tuesday, August 5, 2014

NYC With Marko and Gary

We never got to go on a honeymoon, or any kids-free vacation.  Originally Marko had dreamed of doing something for our 10th anniversary like a cruise.  Neither of us did the leg work required to plan such an event, and instead we saved up to pay the expenses of closing on a house and such for his mom "Momma".
And then the opportunity arose for Marko to go to a computer conference he's been wanting to go to for years and years. So of course that meant we had to invite Gar-Bear to go too since they are techy buddies.  And to clear up any potential weirdness.  Gary and I have been friends 10 years now as we met when I was first hired at BK.  We became much closer about 6-7 years ago.  Marko and him became good friends while he went back to school for computer IT while he was working at BK.  We've stayed extremely close since we each left BK. 

MONDAY
We dropped the kids off with Momma on Monday evening.  Then we made sure everything was ready for our early morning.


TUESDAY
Tuesday morning we ran to Walmart for umbrellas just in case we needed them in NYC.  Then we picked up Gary about 6am from his house.  We ran through the Hardee's drive thru and then to Joyce's house so she could drop us at the train station and have our van to use for the week.  We got to the train station about 6:30. It was so simple and low key there-- nothing like an airport and absolutely nothing like a DC or NYC train station. Our train arrived at 7:25 and left very promptly as scheduled at 7:38.  I always imagined trains are super fast.  That is not true.  It felt maybe as fast as a car on a highway but not super fast as I had imagined.  It was nice and spacious where we had the luck of sitting.  We stopped for a "smoke break" AKA lunch rush break in DC's train station.
The train ride

In Washington DC

The train got more crowded from DC until NYC.  We made it as scheduled to NYC at 3.  It was crowded but not horrible.  Our hotel was directly across the street so we went to check in, which took quite a while thanks to a lengthy line.  I'd never experienced even that before.  We got stuff situated in our room and then it was time to hit the streets of NYC.  We made it to Central Park via the Metro.
1st time on a Subway

For the record the 7 day pass IS the way to go if you will be there 3 days or more--- right Gary?   P.S. I got the 7day and the boys didn't. P.S.S. I paid the least!  We walked to the end/begining of Central Park via the sidewalk across the street (not the actual park).  It was quite a few blocks.... and practically hundreds for the sweet hubby who isn't a fan of walking.


In Central Park--the very edge on the corner and as close as Marko got
Of course we are far from the hotel when it started raining.  And when we started walking it didn't look like rain so those 2 brand new umbrellas were in the hotel room... so we walked back in the rain!  The boys were super unhappy... luckily my years of experience playing in the rain with the kids paid off!  But it put a huge damper on my picture taking.

We went to the hotel to dry off and get dressed to go find dinner.  For dinner we had "Irish" food..... I guess since it was called Stout's Irish Pub.  Gary had the Crab and fish meat Sandwich meal, Marko had the Brats worth Burger and I had a grilled veggie panini with sweet tater fries.


Then we headed back to the hotel again.  Poor Gary immediately crashed.  I got a shower before crashing myself... and some pictures from our hotel room.


WEDNESDAY
Wednesday Gar and I got up and headed out while Marko remotely logged in to his office to fix some computer issues.  Breakfast was nasty and not picture worthy.  Who knew French Toast could double in weight when you add enough butter.  No I did not eat it but I did drink my snapple.  Then we walked to Central Park. We were 45 minutes too early for the zoo so we walked around the park some.  At 10, we went to the zoo.

Penguins



The sea lions were my favorite at feeding time.

Gar I think liked the "rainforest" bird type exhibit best.  It is just a small zoo.  So about noon we met up with Marko at the Apple store.  It's open 24/7 365!  Crazy!  It was interesting... or heaven to the boys if only they had an endless money source.

Next we hopped on the Metro (I used my week long card I got for $30-- p.s. good deal... as Gar spent $30+ in having to refill his card twice and I rode twice as many times as he did) We went down to where the World Trade Centers were.  The plan was to go to the 9/11 Museum, but instead we went to a smaller, cheaper, similar museum: The 9/11 Tribute Center.  The sales lady outside gave us a 33% discount making admission only $10 each.  After we went to the Tribute Center, we crossed the street to the 9/11 Memorial Fountains on Ground Zero.

As an almost 30 year old, this was easily the biggest ever news head line of my memory--- with Columbine HS Shooting, VT Shooting and Osama Bin Laden captures being the next closest big happenings. After that we walked the financial district, seeing Wall Street with the New York Stock Exchange, Federal Hall.  Then we took the Metro to China Town.  We walked China Town and Little Italy.  We ate at The Original Vincent's Restaurant.  I got Baked Rigatoni along with Marko, while Gar got pizza.  Vincent's was celebrating their 104th year.  It was delicious and probably my favorite meal of the week (surprise surprise--- the girl who adores pasta)

Then we took the Metro back to-- Marko went to the hotel, while Gar and I went to conquer Central Park.  We hit pretty much every picture icon on the Central Park Map.

I don't know what time it was when we made it back to the hotel, but I know we were nicely warn out.  Gar and I took the Metro back to the hotel although every other time we (Gar and I not Marko) had walked from Central Park to the hotel (and vice-a-versa).  In typical Gary form- he passed out quickly (and without supper).  After a shower and a rest, Marko and I went in search of supper.  We passed his beloved (dessert) place he had spoken highly of and wanted during our NYC trip-- but we hadn't had supper yet so were still in search of food.  (This is important to know for Friday's detailed day).  We got Chinese food.  He got General Tau's and I got Chicken Lomein.

Then it was back to the hotel for bed... Gary was still sleeping away.




THURSDAY
Thursday was my last day with the guys (well other than the fact we shared a hotel room).  Gar and I got up at 5:30am!  That's flippin' early when you're on vacation!  We were headed to the Today Show Live.  Well, not all plans go exactly as planned.  We past the Good Morning America stage and taping area first--- so guess what show we attended!  We had the option of watching the indoor taping via through the glass or to watch the outside set up.  We were amongst the first 20 people there arriving just before 6:30am.  We decided to go with the 100% live version of the outside set instead of the glass window version.  Patience was required but Gary and I chatted it up and people watched too.  The glass window's action and excitement began at 7 when taping/on air began.  But the outside set up's action would be brief but close.  We waited until 8:30am and then the live outside segment began!  Here's a video of the clip Gary and I were in!  Good Morning America  .
 It was pretty cool.  Those tv personalities you see plastered on the tv and internet news sites, were within hand shaking distance--- although we didn't. 


After it ended at 9, we headed to find some breakfast!  We tried organic.  Man it was actually good--- even though they cooked Gar and my eggs wrong it was still a winner.  Next on our morning's list was to check out a Museum, as Gary wanted.  I'm not into history, museums or science so I think I was a pretty bummer-summer tag a long.  Sorry Gar-Bear.  I don't believe in science--- and no nothing any teacher or science fan says will alter my opinion.  But even with that said The American Museum of Natural History  was huge, had some nice animal displays-- of animals I've seen before (in a zoo) so that part I believed.... the dinos and other fossilized bones that "became" some animal not so much.  The big bang theory earth and space stuff-- negative.  I didn't mind the cultural areas.  We lasted there a couple hours.

Then we headed back to the hotel to get Marko and the three of us took the Metro to head to the Statue of Liberty.  We got to Battery Park saw the Staten Island Ferry but the crowd I think was basically against Marko's religion of anti-crowds.  That was also a stink'n crazy line-- at the Statue of Liberty.  A line to buy tickets, A line to get into the medal detector, A line afterthe medal detector in a huge metal warehouse like building, a line to get on the boat to the Statue.... so basically we got in line, to wait in lines.... but eventually we made it on the boat.  It was a neat ride.  I like anything adventure-like, and a boat ride was new and different so it qualified! We decided to wait in another line for food once we got to the Statue!  The views were pretty awesome!  You could see in every direction-- NJ, NYC, Ellis/Stanton Islands, Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges.... it was neat!

We obviously road the boat back to Battery Park then took the Metro to a very important place on Marko's list--- the Google Building! 
Marko in his Microsoft shirt at Google

Then it was back to the Hotel for the boys to get their registration info packets for the computer conference.
silly glasses they got at registration

After a bit it was dinner time.  In Gary's honor-- ok because we'd never had it before-- we went for Korean.  It was expensive, I didn't much like it but it was an interesting experience and one I'm glad to have had especially with Gar and hubs.  However, I won't be having seconds- ever.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, wonderful photos like usual and certainly interesting commentary also, Beth!

    ReplyDelete