Sunday, August 24, 2014

Beach Bound 2014

This year we took a unique beach vacation- unique in many ways.  This is the first beach trip where none of my brothers came. And yet, mom was with us which as her MS has gotten worse has occurred less on any given trip/vacation.
We got to the beach about 11.  Although check in wasn't until 4pm, the desk called us only about 5 minutes after we arrived and said our room was ready.  They also immediately gave us a parking pass.  Both were appreciated.  Mom wasted no time taste testing the DQ right beside our hotel, The Sea Gull Inn.  I would recommend it, but it is closing down in September, being torn down and turned into a mega hotel.  Being on the oceanfront it is currently only 6 floors and small in size, so obviously they have big expansion plans.
Dad, Jayna and I got us all lunch at Wendy's.  Then we were beach bound.

The waves were incredible and strong.  The currents pushed us miles from our hotel.  In just 30mins we would go from our current location 27th down to where the life guards end at 45.  We'd walk back and do it all again.  It was exciting and both kids were mostly entertained.

The flag attached to every Life guard chair warns "Water is dangerous"

And although we'd worn sunscreen and it appeared mostly overcast Dad and I both ended up with some sun burn.  Jayna got tired of the water before Anthony, which is no surprise- he loves the waves.  Jayna and I changed then took a walk- about 2 miles.  I got her a personalized leather bracelet since she's always bummed nothing comes with her name on it.  By the time we got back to the hotel everyone was ready for supper as it was after 6.  We went and got supper.  Mom and dad shared a gyro meal.  Anthony got 2 corn dog meal.  Jayna and I each got a slice of pizza.  Jayna was dying to do this haunted house.  Anthony had zero interest.  It scared her nicely.  I thought is was lame.
It was nearing 7:30 now when all the street performances begin.  Mom decided she was chilly and tired so she went back to her room- using her scooter, what a gift it is!
Dad the kid and I enjoyed numerous performances from a silly actor, several musicians, an artist, and the pain one was Aaron Bonk.



Aaron did about 35 minutes of juggling various items, cracking whip stunts and balancing acts many of which included fire, swords, axes and even a chainsaw
The kids loved this one.  I found it insanely loud giving me a ear and head ache--- perhaps I would have gotten in anyways...
Jayna was my favorite performer.... dancing away with this Jazz group ;-)

By now it was 11ish.  I stopped by Walgreens for some over the counter meds on the way back to the hotel.  Everyone got ready for bed.  My head was killing me as was my ear.  I am used to head aches and migraine but the extreme throbbing ear was a new symptom and I was up almost every hour all night.  In the morning mom and dad went to a lame time share presentation to win a free vacation next year and free passes to a dolphin cruise.  I forced the kids to get up near 10 so I could go buy more meds as obviously what I had wasn't working at all.  Then we went to eat breakfast/lunch.  Jayna chose chocolate chip pancakes, I got strawberry waffles and Anthony got chicken strips and fries.  I was still feeling no better but tried to force myself to keep going.  We went to the beach.  The waves weren't 1/2 as crazy.  Anthony was bummed and Jayna loved it.  I mostly napped on a towel because sitting was making me even more dizzy and I had no energy.  I was bummed I was no fun to be around.After we left the beach, Dad and mom convinced me to go to Urgent Care.  I agreed.  I was now also sick due to the migraine.  The urgent care facility was rather close and they were quick.  I left with 2 rx- one to stop the nausea and one for to stop the migraine.  While I took the meds and headed to sleep, Mom and dad took the kids for a late lunch and then for a 2 hr evening Dolphin boat cruise.  I am bummed I missed my kids first boat ride and I have no pictures or proof it even happened-- but I'm told it did, they saw some dolphins, Jayna gets mildy seas sick as in not throwing up but was feeling uneasy, they liked the first hr and then got bored....After that they went to dominos pizza and brought a pizza and cinnamon sticks back to the hotel for supper.  I ate a few cinni sticks.  Everyone got ready for bed then.  I felt mostly better other than drained and a bit dizzy/loopy.

Thursday I was up before 5 to see the Sunrise. It was beautiful.  I stayed outside alone watching the sun, walking the store, collecting a few shells and enjoying the moment.  Jayna was upset I didn't wake her.

Dad joined me outside around 7 on the 2nd floor patio our hotel had.  He wrote his postcards.  Afterwards we went back to the room and got up and read for the day.  On our list of to-dos was to ride a family bike.  We are guanteed nothing but this is more evident with mom's MS.  This may be mom's last chance to do a family exercise/sport/bike ride.  I'd like you to know, these bike's are not 1/2 as easy as they look.  Mom was unable to pedal so she was along for the ride.  The rest of us traded seats off and on over our hour Long bike ride spanning 54 blocks of boardwalk.  It was a lot of work.  Jayna wasn't too much help but was eager to steer.  All of us were tired by the end-- except probably Dad because I don't think he ever gets tired.

Then dad, the kids and I had to walk 7 blocks from our hotel to hop in the waters due to a high bacteria level beach closure.  We had a wonderful final hour in the waves.
We had to rush and get our stuff out of the hotel room in order to be checked out by 11.  Then we went across the street for our final beach meal.
Grandma and Jayna's matching shirts
This is way fewer pictures than I typical have, but it was a very hands on vacation when I was able, on day 1 and 3-- So less time to play with cameras.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed, your dad's a dynamo, and it was so good to see mom along for the fun :) Sorry you didn't feel well about half the trip, Beth, but it was great you had such good backup!

    ReplyDelete