Monday, May 20, 2013

Day of Volunteering

I spent my day in one of my most favorite ways, Volunteering.  I heard on the radio last week that Volunteering is good for the heart.  It is SO true.  I have been Volunteering for different organizations since at least the third grade.  The Central PA Humane Society, Juniata Grace Brethren Church, Family Resource Center, Olivet Baptist Church, Thomas Road Baptist Church, Daily Bread, Sheffield Elementary and likely others too that aren't immediately popping out at me.  My happiest times and best memories (not with family) are when I am volunteering.

After crossing guard I cleaned out my cabinets and donated some food.  Then I got an email that the school needed a volunteer, so Off to Sheffield I rushed.  I was the sole Volunteer for the talent show try outs for three hours.  Although the talent show was far from organized I am thrilled to be able to volunteer my time.  Jayna especially loves the talent show and I am glad that they offer this outlet to their students.  With a child who no time soon is likely to earn a math or reading award, doesn't like sports- she totally looks forward to this all year long.  She adores her lil trophy from last year, she "earned it" and got recognition she doesn't typically get.

Of course I did my typical enjoyment of the day, Crossing guard in the morning and the evening.

Then at 5:30 I went to help set up for the Volunteer Appreciation/Parent Advisory Committee meeting. I got to enjoy chatting with former employee Brandon, his lovely wife Lisa and precious girls Kaleigh and Brandy... Jr was far more interested in basketball than chatting. 

If you aren't already an active volunteer somewhere, you should seriously consider it.  It doesn't have to be very time consuming.  There are all sorts of opportunities to occasional, weekly, daily gigs to fit any schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment