Monday, October 14, 2013

Bad Luck Week to Hecticness

Sheesh Louise!  This week, if it weren't for BAD luck I would have NO luck.
It was the first week of the month.  That means in addition to third shift on Friday and Saturday I have Thursday too.  But this week, the other third shifter was sick so I had Wednesday too. 

Sunday after third shift I went to church as usual.  Then lunch time followed by the funeral of a family friend.  All while dealing with an awesome migraine.  Work wanted me to work 3rd again but I had already taken a sleeping pill to try and kill the migraine so obviously couldn't  I slept for over 12 hours and... woke up with that SAME migraine on Monday.

 Monday, I of course did crossing guard but mostly laid in bed all day tying to fight off the migraine, to no avail.  A former BK employee came by the house about 1:30 as her house's sewage system was getting replaced and they had no water or drains so needed a place to stay so we housed them- mom, dad and 2.5 year old Jayla.  It may not seem like a big deal but when you are battling a headache amongst life's annoyances it is more than the typical.  So at 2:45 I headed for work as usual.  Just over 1/2 way the van broke down.  Luckily I did get it into a parking lot.  I had to jog to work.  Luckily a towing company was on my way so I stopped paid for the tow and jogged to work.  I like to work 3-4 although technically I don't have to be there until 3:20.  Motorists are not kind to the parents or middle schoolers from 3-3:20.  So according to my standard I was 5 minutes late (Got there at 3:05).  After work, I quickly walked to mom's.  Of course of all the days to forget my cell phone, it would be today!  As I am nearing the street my mom lives on I see fully loaded SWAT cars headed that way.  I get to her street and the SWAT has it blocked.  Mom and the kids weren't there yet.  Again luckily mom lent me her van and we continued our typical busy schedule.  We went to football.  I came home and did homework and supper.  Marko looked at the van and it was determined to be the alternator.  Dog-on it... pricey!  I hit the sheets very shortly after the kids went to bed at 9.

Tuesday the migraine had lessened to a headache.  Of course I did crossing guard.  Then we had to deal with the van.  The plan was to drive it to the shop with mom following to jump start it as needed.  I quickly decided this idea of Marko's wasn't a good choice for me.  Again I had it towed, this time to a body shop.  I went with mom to run errands throughout most the day.  Add in that Jayna forgot her lunch in Poppy's car.  THANK YOU MS. JEANNIE for buying her mac and cheese and a lemonade at Sheetz.  For those unaware, her school doesn't have a cafeteria (as in served lunches) so Ms. Jeannie without even being willing to recieve reimbursement bought Jayna lunch.   Thank you so much-- unheard of in public school, but that's for an up and coming blog... one at a time.   Just before crossing guard the van was done so we rushed to get it-- far too much money spent in a day!  The previous Thursday Jayna had twisted her ankle at cross country.  5 days later she was still whining about it so I took her to the doctor after school.  After an XRay it was determined "just" sprained with a torn ligament.  Immediately after we meet up with Anthony at his football game.  Woohoo his team won... finally good news.  Kindly, our house guest had cleaned our kitchen while I was out for the evening.  Then I cooked supper and did homework.

Wednesday- crossing guard, chiropractor appointment and then to school to volunteer and help with the hot lunch fundraiser, eat lunch, relax for an hour and crossing guard again, amidst a dull annoying headache still. Too bad I can't remember much else about that day... we ate supper and did homework, there ya go I know that much ;-) AHA It was the big day: Anthony's first cross country meet (2.1 mile race)  He did well although tired out, as mentioned in a previous blog post)

Thursday- Our company left about midnight (last night/this morn) We left the house for work like every morning, kids in tow to drop at the G'parents; as they transport to school.  Flippin' van tire pops on me two blocks from mom and dad's but luckily was close enough we made it just fine.  Dad gave me a ride to crossing guard and afterwards I walked to their house to dogsit there foster dog.  They don't want to leave Lizzie alone for extended periods of time. If I said she is absolutely precious, that is an understatement.  If only I could choose her over the hubby, since hubby says if I choose to try to bring her home it would be that evil D(ivorce) word... Kidding, and yet not ;-) I drove the giant white van to crossing guard in the afternoon and to mom's to grab the kids and take them home.  It was mostly a laid back afternoon and evening until the tears began to flow when I made Jayna study and study again for her spelling test.  Life sure is harsh!  She apparently had been whining (and partially acting) at school all day about her ankle.  I was less than impressed as I had seen her play painlessly the afternoon before when she thought I wasn't paying attention and again that night she had no problem jumping all over daddy... purely amazing isn't it?  Her sweet teacher and mom too fell for her acting skills.  Future career training in progress (lil Miss Diva actress!)


Friday- One more day with the big white van, as hubby works late most nights and hadn't had time to deal with the van's tire issues yesterday.  The typical, work, then home because I can't drive far in big bertha the gas guzzler ;-)  I rode my bike to Sheffield Elementary after bit to do my weekly volunteering.  Back to crossing guard.  Then my FAVORITE part of Fridays: time with the most precious little guy, Tristan my 5.5 month old godson, along with his big sisters.  I babysit them nearly every Friday for 5 hours.  The kids (J and A) were anxiously and impatiently awaiting Uncle Alden's arrival.  Just prior to 10pm Uncle Alden got in so Dad came and picked up the kids while I took Tristan and the girls back to Brandy and headed off to work, the beloved third shift!

.... now for the next 5 days I work 3rd shift each day (as opposed to my normal 2 or 3 days a week.... so it will certainly cut into my volunteer time, but will help pay for that annoying van's car repairs....

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the van repairs and literal headaches of the week, Beth, but God gifted you with help all along the way, primarily in the form of helpful parents :D

    ReplyDelete