Sunday, June 8, 2014

End of School year review

We survived another school year!  That's always  a big accomplishment :-)  I am likely a rarity, in that I am just as anxious as any school kid for the end of the school year, no homework, less stress and focus on academics, and time to relax, have fun and bond.  So THANK GOODNESS IT'S SUMMER!


Desmond T. Doss Christian Academy
I truly couldn't have had a happier school year for my children.  Some of my love for this school was revealed full force as I asked the kids specific questions about their teachers and their opinions of what school they preferred and why for the little end of year letter we gave their teachers.  The words from their innocent thoughts were as moving as anything.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I asked Anthony why do you like DTD more than your old school, his relpy said a lot "no one really fights here and at Sheffield Grayson and Trey were always fighting with people"
He was certainly effected by bullying, by being the victim and a witness and both on the bus and in the classroom.  Even after I requested his seat be moved last year (gr 3) the teacher ignored the request, and the issues continued until I revisited and came unannounced.  So glad to have them in a safer school emotionally and physically.
Interestingly on the "timehop" app on my I phone this week it gave me this status from May 2012. 

Why can't the older kids(they are in 5th grade, although the same height and shorter than anthony) on the bus stop picking on Anthony! 5 more days, and this momma will be getting an extra hr of sleep and driving the kids instead to school!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I asked Jayna why do you like DTD more than your old school, her reply was "Everyone here loves everyone"
She is right.  I have never been a part of any group that is more inclusive, more family-like, and more truly concerned, loving and dedicated towards one another.  This year has been a huge leap in the right direction as opposed to last year for both the kids.  And for a bit of a laugh, I would say his relationship with his teacher this year vs last year improved about 7000%.  He may not have been eager to give his teacher any gifts--- but he also didn't steal any of them!  To his credit.... his teacher wasn't on my favorite list either.  She fully switched careers and is no longer teaching or working with kids.

Your son may NOT be a fan of his teacher when he eats her teacher appreciation gift and leaves the proof in his back pack. Hopefully next year he has better luck in the teacher department...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm not that parent that requires the highest grades of her kids, so my idea of an end of year review  isn't a straight A report card.  My measure of success is amount of progress made academically and their level of happiness.  Because sometimes happiness is far more important than the top of the line grades.
 Jayna's made some great reading progress.  She came into 2nd grade round two on a 1st grade reading level.  She finished 3 levels of Barton tutoring thanks to a very loving, talented and dedicated tutor, Mrs. Berti.  And when she was tested this month by Ms. Jeannie, she is now on a beginner 3rd grade reading level.  It still doesn't come easily to her.  She may be on a 3rd level, but she still struggles and still has a high amount of frustration when reading.  She seemed successful in all her subjects this year.  She certainly and undeniable was happy.  She finally was given the chance to not be at the very bottom of the totem pole in her personal opinion of yourself, her smarts, etc.  She has finally been given a chance to be both a leader and a follower in this multi-level classroom setting.  It isn't essential for most kids, but to a kid like Jayna, it's been a great opportunity and really a needed one.  This time last year she had high anxiety and was even causing herself self-inflicted harm whether intentional or accidental from her frustrations and anxiety and low self esteem.  This year, all she has left of that is the scars on the back of her neck.
Anthony too has made adequate progress. He has learned those multiplication tables-- big deal :-) He's typically timid.  For example two years ago he loved his teacher-- and yet he still chose to be silent and never said a word to her until the first week of May.  His teacher was so excited to have finally started to get him out of his shell a pinch.  Then last year oh goodness... yes his teacher wasn't a people person, she wasn't a kid person either.  She was a yeller, and liked to make an example and scene out of students and it just wasn't enjoyable in the classroom.  Fast forward to this year and yes he is still somewhat timid, but he is so much more involved!  He was able to be a store clerk at the charity bake sale, he did soccer and cross country, I don't think there's anyone at the whole school he doesn't know and he has even started singing.  He sings to Spirit FM and our CD collection now and even in front of the whole school/church for a few different programs.  Then there's the fact he is comfortable with all the staff.  He is always talking about "Mrs. Kelly running- or out running whoever", four square love-- and according to him victory too, and all sorts of other lessons he has been taught that goes beyond book sense.  Anthony learning a new comfort level and confidence, couldn't ask for more-- and then to be blessed with loving teachers we can trust, priceless blessing.
 
Lynchburg City Schools Thoughts and Improvements
In Nov I was asked why I transferred my kids in a letter from the Superintendent. I chose to throw away the form I was sent and give a thorough real response in an email I wrote to Dr Brabrand.  I even got a response, brief but it allows me to know it was read-- even though I didn't find that response until this week (thanks email filter!).  So just a vague brief update on the city schools and my thoughts there.

There is no better confirmation you've made the right school decision than when you learn the teacher your child would have had is pregnant... and then later was out for about 8 weeks.  I can't imagine Jayna having another long term sub.
On the plus side, I did notice LCS's now does "shadowing" before a long term sub starts.  They try to match up a long term sub w/ a similar personality and the teacher trains the sub for a few days ahead of time.  However teacher attendance was even worse for 2012-2013.  Perhaps it will have improved when that info is released next fall.  Hopefully this shadowing and long term same sub saves another Jayna from falling through the cracks. 
 
I saw on the news this fall that the church up the street from our home started a tutoring program at Sheffield after school, like the Tiger Club.-- this is another thing I had suggested, getting back the after school tutoring.  I know of two other city schools with a similar program. 

Title I Services were still offered during most of the state testing, which is certainly an improvement- and another recommendation I had made.

Another family I know has struggled similarly this year with getting an IEP, child study, and learning disabilities diagnosed. Their child may be getting retained-- it has been recommended.  That student was still offered summer school, unlike Jayna last year so that's one more step in the right direction.


1 comment:

  1. Busy Beth, continue to let God direct the paths of you and your fine family! As one who dealt with IEPs for years with my own child, I certainly can relate to the challenges you face :)

    ReplyDelete